29 August 2010

New Orleans

I'll entitle it this way, instead of "Katrina," though it's the hurricane, the slow response, the racism, etc. that are on my mind. I haven't yet heard Obama's speech on this, the 5th anniversary of landfall in southern Louisiana, but although a good bit of rebuilding has indeed taken place there, there's hardly enough been done for the poor. And we all know or should know why that is: racism and neglect for the working poor of all races is still pretty much the order of the day. We still could have an event occur in the wake of which people would say "I don't recognize my country! Is this really the U.S.? Why are people being forsaken?" Instead, we hear "tea baggers" who want their country back, by which they of course mean that they do not and will not accept a mixed race president.

No comments:

Post a Comment